Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Saga continues...

Well... here we are on day two of this blog.

I have 506 days until the start of this trip and feel that I need about 500 more to get everything done the way I want it done!!!

I am continually amazed at people's reactions to this event.  The look in their eyes is priceless.

Someone asked me the other day about growing up handicapped and I had to tell them that I really didn't know I was handicapped until I was 18!  My parents didn't raise we with the concept of being handicapped.  I knew I was different and I knew that I had to do some things differently and there were simply some things I could not do.  But it was really put to my attention at a job interview when I was 18. Back then they asked everything on an application.  The man I was interviewing with finally got to the medical information section (we were about 20 minutes into the interview) and saw the long list of surgeries and stopped the interview with "I'm sorry son, I don't need to hire you I have all the handicapped people I need."  I was devastated.  I went back home and with a very stern voice asked my mom "Why didn't you tell me I was handicapped?"  She still laughs at this story to this day (as do I)!!!

I have to admit that I still struggle with the handicapped status.  Maybe it's because of the stigma we have associated with the word handicapped.  I remember as a kid that me and the whole family were required to go to counseling because and I quote "if there is a leg problem there must be a psychological problem".  The counselor we had (Dr. Bermount) would tell my mom that we were the most balanced family he talked too.

Yes, there were the times I had to deal with bullying at school.  One time someone had disassembled my crutches during a class and it made me late to the following class because I had to put them back together. I normally just  attributed it to ignorance and would go on my way.   Yes, I have had to deal with prejudice.  We all have felt that tinge of doubt when we see someone get out of a car parked in a handicapped spot and they don't limp!

I will be first to admit that there are folks out there that have it far worse than I do, but it seems to me that there has been a real drop in the level of common courtesy that people have to those with handicaps.  Now I'm not saying I demand that someone else be inconvenienced by my needs, I would just like to have the same opportunities (within reason) to the pursuit of life and liberty!

That is why I'm planning this trip.  I hope to raise some awareness.  I hope to earn some respect.  I hope to show those who struggle like I have that there is no limit to the fullness of the human spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Y'know, back in high school I never thought of you as "handicapped" - never even occurred to me.... and over the years when I did think about you it really was as a guy who overcame challenges one by one, usually with a huge grin. I've actually told people about you and some of the things you went through, to inspire them, to show them what someone can do with grace and determination. Had no idea, did you?

    ReplyDelete