Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hello,

My name is Jeff Lowe. My friends call me Hawt Wheels. I have been working on a project to be the first person to cross the state of Ohio in a manually powered wheelchair. I know... it seems odd that no one has done this before but apparently they have not. The state has been crossed with hand cranked bikes, powered wheelchairs (electric) and there have even been a few that have jogged across the state on artificial limbs. But no one has done so in a regular old manually power wheelchair.

There are a couple of reasons why I am doing it. One is because it has not been done! Another is to help raise awareness of Legg-Calves-Perthes Syndrome and Osteonecrosis. You can follow the link on my website (http://www.hawtwheelsacrossohio.org/) to get an explanation of these disorders.

I have planned the first big trip to start June 1, 2013. I will cross the state following Rt. 40 (with a few side trips where 40 and 70 merge). We expect the trip to take at least 10 days. I have scheduled a "shake out roll" for June 2nd of this year that will consist of a trip from the center of Columbus (High and Broad) to the center of West Jefferson (where I live). The trip is only about 16 miles but will give me a good indication of where to continue to work the bugs out in the logistics of the big trip.

The project is called Hawt Wheels Across Ohio and has a couple of substantial goals. First are the trips across the state. The first one is listed above and we have set the following trip goals also:
Cleveland - Columbus - Cincinnati, starting June 7, 2014
Toledo - Columbus - Marietta, starting June 6, 2015
Sandusky - Columbus - Portsmouth, starting June 4, 2016

Second is in forming a non-profit organization to become a repository of information and assistance for those who are diagnosed with Legg-Calve-Perthes or Osteonecrosis.

Thank you for your consideration.  Please follow the link below to make a donation!

Jeff "Hawt Wheels" Lowe
405 Madison Drive N
West Jefferson, OH 43162
614.598.5431


No comments:

Post a Comment