Thursday, February 23, 2012

And the HWAO saga continues...

I was able to push 7 miles out at Easton! The weather was fantastic! The people watching has been priceless!!!

Having a day off in the middle of the week is interesting! Got my hairs cut this morning. Got out here to Easton. The bad thing will be that I won't get a day off again until next week!

Things with the HWAO project are coming along. I wanted to take some time to explain a little more about the goals of the project. The trips are an obvious set of goals themselves but there are a few other things that I hope to accomplish too.

I want to write a book about the entire experience of planning and taking the first trip. I hope to be able to then go onto the motivational talk circuit. I think there is a great opportunity to share all the fun and frustration of making this dream come to life.

I'm also trying to get a non-profit organization built to address the issues of Legg-Calve-Perthes Syndrome and Osteonecrosis. There is so much that simply falls between the cracks because of the rare nature of both. I want to leave behind a legacy of knowledge and understanding. And not only for these two disorders but for all forms of handicaps.

It may be because I live it every day but there has been a trend lately that dismisses some of the issues faced by handicapped people. Now I know that there are those that are just using the system to be lazy. And there are those that claim some form of handicap with out any substance to their claim. But neither of those reasons is enough for us to ignore the true needs of a few that are struggling to live as normal a life as possible despite certain obstacles.

Kandie and I were heading into a Meijer store the other night and some jackass barely missed me with his car. And I mean he missed me by about 3 inches! If I hadn't stopped he would have run me square over. Now we were in the crosswalk with a very visible stop sign. This idiot was paying no attention and was accelerating through the lot. He could have hit anyone actually.  This is the kind of thing that scares me the most about the trips.

And speaking of the trip.... I need YOUR help in raising money to make this dream a reality!  Please go to http://www.hawtwheelsacrossohio.org and follow the link to make a donation!  THANKS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment